Paper Bead Tutorial Video
This is a great video that that I found on YouTube. This creator will teach you how to make your own paper beads but beware because making these beads can quickly become very addicting! Don't say I didn't warn you!
Paper Bead Measuring and Cutting Guide
Here is a paper bead cutting guide for those of you who may just be learning how to make paper beads or for those of you who like to make all of your paper beads a uniform size. I hand cut each one of my beads without measuring or using a guide because I like to make each bead unique in size and shape. Either way is fine, it's really all about personal preference. I like this example because I use magazine covers often in my paper bead making quests. The covers are often a bit heavier and usually very colorful. These two features together produce sturdy, large and colorful paper beads.
Recycled Paper Beads
In Victorian times, women in England gathered in dining rooms to make beads by rolling scraps of wallpaper on knitting needles. They would then string the beads on long pieces of yarn to create curtains that separated rooms. You can make these beads from recycled scrap paper, and string them together to make jewelry!
*****How to make paper beads*****
What you'll need:
- scraps of wallpaper, magazine pictures, used wrapping paper, colored paper, etc.
- pencil, ruler, and scissors
- drinking straws
- thread or yarn
- With your scissors, cut long triangles from your paper scraps that are about 1/2-inch wide and 2 1/2-inches long. Make a template to trace, if you wish.
- Cover one side of a triangle with paste. Put the paste on the inside of the paper so that the colorful pattern will be on the outside of your bead.
- Place the triangle's glued short side on a drinking straw.
- Wrap the paper completely around itself on the straw.
- Cut away the straw at both ends of the rolled paper.
- To make beads with different shapes, vary the size and shape of the paper triangles that you cut.
- Let your beads dry, and then string them together on your thread or yarn. Knot the ends of the thread together.
(Sterlilng Publishing Co., Inc., New York)
How to make European style paper beads
I found this great video that explains how to make beautiful European style paper beads and what supplies you'll need. If you are a beginner to making these paper beads this creator can get you up and "rolling in no time! Good luck and have fun!
Paper Bead Supply Sources
If you are looking for preprinted paper bead papers or paper bead rolling tools then Etsy is a great source for these types of material. While a lot of artists use only recycled papers for making their paper beads many others like to use colorful digital papers, scrapbook papers, etc.. Esty has many sellers for beautiful papers if you fancy a certain color or print. Being an Etsy Shop owner myself, I try to encourage other crafters to purchase from Etsy because it helps support fellow Etsians. Take a look around Etsy and your sure to find some wonderful sellers that have stunning paper bead making supplies!